North Carolina has a long tradition of support for poetry. From its beginning, the North Carolina Arts Council encouraged poetry readings and publication of poetry magazines and anthologies. The State Poet Laureate is available for community programs.
- Literary Trails of North Carolina
- The Atlantic Online
- Contemporary Poetry Review
- Internet Poetry Archive
- Literary Magazine Stand: The New Pages Guide to Literary Magazines
- NewPages: Alternatives in Print and Media
- North Carolina Public Libraries on the Web
- Oxford Anthology of Modern American Poetry
- The Poetry Archive
- Poetry Daily
- Poetry Slam: Background, History, Timeline
Out of State
- Academy of American Poets
- The National Association for Poetry Therapy
- Poetry Society of America
- Poets House
North Carolina Poetry Events and Reading Series
- Poetry GSO(Greensboro)
- Carrboro Poetry Festival
- Lake Eden Arts Festival (LEAF) Poetry Slam (Black Mountain)
- Poetry Out Loud (student competition)
Poetry Magazines and Presses
- Carolina Wren Press
- Cold Mountain Review
- International Poetry Review
- Main Street Rag Publishing Company
Out of State
- The American Poetry Review
- Poets & Writers Magazine
- Poets Market (Writer’s Digest Books, updated annually)
North Carolina Poetry Anthologies and Surveys
- Buckner, Sally, ed. Word and Witness: 100 Years of North Carolina Poetry. Durham: Carolina Academic Press, 1999.
- McFee, Michael, ed. The Language They Speak Is Things to Eat; Poems by Fifteen Contemporary North Carolina Poets. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1994.
- Owen, Guy, and Mary C. Williams, eds. Contemporary Poetry of North Carolina. Winston-Salem: John F. Blair, 1977.
- Walser, Richard, ed. Poets of North Carolina. Richmond: Garrett & Massie, 1963.